|The Zanti Misfits|
|Season 1, Episode 14|
|Air date||December 30, 1963|
|Written by||Joseph Stefano|
|Directed by||Leonard Horn|
"The Zanti Misfits" is the fourteenth episode of the original The Outer Limits television show. It aired on December 30, 1963, during the first season.
Throughout history, compassionate minds have pondered the dark and disturbing question: what is society to do with those members who are a threat to society, those malcontents and misfits whose behavior undermines and destroys the foundations of civilization? Different ages have found different answers. Misfits have been burned, branded and banished. Today, on this planet Earth, the criminal is incarcerated in humane institutions.....or he is executed. Other planets use other methods. This is the story of how the perfectionist rulers of the planet Zanti attempted to solve the problem of the Zanti misfits.
Throughout history, various societies have tried various methods of exterminating those members who have proven their inability or unwillingness to live sanely amongst their fellow men. The Zantis tried merely one more method; neither better, nor worse than all of the others, neither more human, nor less human than all others, perhaps merely- non-human.
- Michael Tolan – as Steve Grave
- Olive Deering – as Lisa
- Robert F. Simon – as General Hart
- Bruce Dern – as Ben Garth
- Claude Woolman – as Major Roger Hill
- Lex Johnson – as a communications technician (uncredited)
- Joe E. Tata – as a radar operator (uncredited)
- George Sims – as a computer technician (uncredited)
- Mike Mikler – as Air Police sergeant (uncredited)
- Bill Hart – as Corporal Delano (uncredited)
- Vic Perrin – as the voice of Zanti prisoner (uncredited)
- Robert Johnson – as the voices of radio newscaster / Zanti Regent / Zanti commander (uncredited)
- John Elizalde – as voice of the Zanti (uncredited)
Cinematographer - John M. Nicklaus